As you can see in the video, I haven't had much luck with homemade vegan cupcakes until now. These cupcakes are moist, fluffy, and taste very close to a traditional cupcake. Give them a try and let me know what you think.
Vanilla Cupcakes & Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (increase salt to 1/2 teaspoon if you're using oil instead of margarine)
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated margarine, softened, or 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, caramel extract, or more vanilla extract
- ½ cup nonhydrogenated shortening
- ½ cup nonhydrogenated margarine
- 3½ cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup plain soy milk or soy creamer
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2. Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a measuring cup and set aside for a few minutes to get good and curdled.
3. If using margarine:
Sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a
large bowl and mix.
In a separate large bowl, use a handheld mixer at medium speed to cream
the margarine and sugar for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
Note: Don't beat past 2 minutes.
Beat in the vanilla and other extract, if using, then alternate beating
in the soy milk mixture and dry ingredients, stopping to scrape the
sides of the bowl a few times.
3. If using oil:
Beat together the soy milk mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla, and other
extracts, if using, in a large bowl.
Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt,
and mix until no large lumps remain.
4. Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake for 20 to 22 minutes.
5. Transfer to a cooling rack, and let cool completely before frosting.Frosting directions
1. Beat the shortening and margarine together until well-combined and fluffy.
2. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes.
3. Add the vanilla and soy milk and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy.