I can eat tacos every day. My favorite toppings are salsa, avocado and lettuce.
Even though you have to eat like four tacos to get full, I just love how simple and delicious they are.
Instead, this recipe calls for TVP.
Textured vegetable protein (TVP) is a high protein meat alternative made from defatted soy flour that is cooked under pressure and then dried. Once TVP is rehydrated, it has a very similar texture to ground beef.
You can buy TVP online or at most health food stores.
I didn't expect to like this recipe (mainly because of the TVP) but it was flavorful and delicious. How did the boys rate the tacos? All 3 ate them but one said he didn't like it (he couldn't give me specifics on why though). Two out of three is a 'thumbs up' in my house!
Watch Michelle make this delicious taco filling below and don't forget to subscribe to her Youtube channel. :-)
Here's the recipe....
1 can kidney beans (or your bean of choice), rinsed and drained
½ cup brown rice, cooked (white rice would work too)
½ cup water
½ cup TVP
1 jar of salsa (optional)
Taco sauce (optional)
Shredded lettuce (iceberg works best)
1 tablespoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
⅛ teaspoon cayenne powder
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon paprika
1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1. Combine the taco seasonings and blend well.
2. Bring ½ cup water to a boil.
3. Add the taco seasoning mix to the boiling water and stir until it's well combined and the spices have dissolved (30 seconds or so).
4. Add the water to the TVP, mix and make sure that all of the TVP is moist.
5. Let the TVP sit for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, the TVP should have absorbed all of the water.
6. Add the beans and rice to the TVP and mix to combine. You could also add 1 jar of salsa to the mixture.
7. To assemble your taco, add the mixture to a taco shell and top with taco sauce and lettuce.
What's your favorite taco topping?