I made this cornbread eight times before I was satisfied. I was too busy trying to capture the texture, flavor and moisture of how cornbread used to be for me 3 years ago (before I became a vegan). Mission accomplished.
Wanna know what the "secret" ingredient is? Earth Balance vegan margarine. It's everything in this recipe.
I think you will love it, too. Let me know what you think once you make it. Also, don't forget to check out the YouTube video I made featuring this recipe.
Much love to my Instagram bud, @quejimenez for helping me get this recipe right!
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 23 mins
Keywords: bake vegan
Ingredients (Serves 5)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup raw sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ¼ cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 Ener-G “egg”
- 6-7 ¼ teaspoons vegan margarine
1. Preheat over at 400º
2. Make your Ener-G “egg” then place it to the side.
3. In a large bowl, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking soda.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together almond milk, canola oil and Ener-G egg.
5. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients until just combined-being sure not to over mix the batter.
6. Add in the vegan margarine.
7. Pour into a baking pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool for about 10 minutes before enjoying.