Coconut Lentil Soup
Keywords: vegan vegetarian
Ingredients (Serves 5)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or broth
- I medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 1/2 cups lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 14 oz can of coconut milk
- Juice of half a lemon
- Serve this soup with rice and garnish with cilantro
1. In a large pot, saute onion and garlic for 7 minutes on medium heat.
2. Mix in cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt, black pepper and ginger.
3. Continue cooking for 1 minute.
4. Add in lentils, vegetable broth and coconut milk.
5. Bring soup to a boil.
6. Reduce heat to med-lo, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
7. Mix in lemon juice
8. Serve with rice and cilantro.
9. Add salt to taste, if necessary.
Recipe adapted from Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Kitchen