I enjoy reading Merely Marie's blog.
Beautiful photography, food & style.
I just click on her site, sip my tea and have a good time reading the latest.
When I saw her pizza stuffed zucchini recipe I had to veganize it!
I will say that I was a little nervous, since I'd never had zucchini baked like this. Plus, I didn't think the kids would eat it.
My 3 boys really liked it! I love when I'm wrong about this type of stuff!
The zucchini is firm, the flavor is bomb and it's a simple recipe. Major plus!
Check out the deets...
Prep Time: 10 mins
Keywords: bake entree vegan
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 4 medium zucchini (ends chopped off, halved length-wise, and flesh cored out-save flesh for later)
- 2 vegan sausage links, chopped in small pieces (Field Roast or Tofurky are good brands)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup vegan cheese of mozzarella or cheddar cheese (Daiya and Follow Your Heart are good brands)
Preheat oven at 375º
Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil, spoon 1/2 to 1 cup of sauce over the bottom of the pan, and lay hallowed out zucchini’s skin side down.
Over med-hi heat, add olive oil to a large skillet, then onion, bell pepper, the zucchini flesh, salt and black pepper.
Saute until onion is translucent, about 6 mins.
Then mix in the vegan sausage and remaining marinara sauce, continuing to cook for about 2 minutes.
Stuff each zucchini halve with about 2 tablespoons of the mixture.
Sprinkle on vegan cheese and bake for 20 mins.
During the last 2 mins, you may need to turn on the broiler to help melt the vegan cheese.
Let me know what you think once you try it!
Music playing while I cooked....
New Edition: If It Isn't Love