I heard about Gardein Fishless Filets nearly a year ago and it took forever to get my hands on them.
When it comes to meat alternatives, Gardein is one of the most accessible brands out there (they even sell their products in Wal-Mart), so I have no idea why they're making one of their best products sooo hard to find.
Anywho, my local Wegmans has them and I came right home to test them out on fish tacos.
Each bag contains 6 small filets, so I purchased 3 bags for the fam.
^^^Uncooked...right out the package
- Will take care of your fish craving
- Tastes much better than Sophie's Kitchen fish (I wasn't a fan of those)
- Great texture-Very similar to Gordon crispy battered fish filets
- Hard to find at most grocery stores (you can order it online though)
- Kind of pricey-Since the filets are small, we have to get 3 bags to feed our fam of 5. It was $15 for us
I think these are a great occasional meal and are definitely an awesome replacement for fish.
Check out the full list of ingredients here
Have you tried the Gardein Fishless Filets yet? What did you think?
P.S. In case you're wondering, here's the recipe for the creamy chipotle sauce I used on top of the tacos...
Creamy Chipotle Sauce
Keywords: appetizer vegan
- 2 chipotles in adobo, finely chopped
- 1/2 vegan mayo (Vegenaise and Just Mayo are good brands)
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream (Tofutti is a good brand or you can make it using this recipe http://www.brownvegan.com/recipes?recipe_id=6070003
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients mixing well.
Serve on vegan tacos