Here's an delicious dinner that doesn't take a million hours to put together and has inexpensive ingredients.
Even though I didn't include this in the directions, I usually add in a teaspoon of cumin because I will find any excuse to use it. I'm addicted!
Never used canned coconut milk in a recipe? You're in for a treat! There's no weird coconut flavor in this dish and it makes a nice light gravy to go with the potatoes.
Coconut Mushrooms & Mashed Potatoes
Keywords: saute entree vegan vegetarian
Ingredients (Serves 5)
- 1 tablespoon coconut or olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 15 oz can of coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, washed, peeled and cut lengthwise into quarters
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond or soy milk (add more if necessary)
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine (Earth Balance and Smart Balance are options)
- 1 teaspoon salt (1/2 teaspoon more salt for the cooking water)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Heat a large shallow pan on medium heat with oil. Add in bell pepper, shallots and garlic for about 3 mins. Then add in mushrooms, stirring frequently for 4 minutes.
Pour in coconut milk and bring to a boil until liquid has reduced by half. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.Mashed Potatoes Instructions
Place potatoes into a large saucepan. Add cold water to the pan until the potatoes are covered by at least an inch. Add in 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
Bring the potatoes and water to a boil.
Reduce the heat to low to maintain a simmer and cover.
Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until you can easily poke through them with a fork.
When the potatoes are done, drain the water and place the potatoes back into the pot.
Add in the milk, margarine, salt and pepper and mash with a potato masher.
Add more milk to smooth out the potatoes, if necessary. Don't overbeat the potatoes or the mashed potatoes will end up gluey.
To serve: Scoop mashed potatoes into a bowl. Top with about 1⁄2 cup of coconut mushrooms and cilantro